June 28, 2013

Dead Ever After (Sookie Stackhouse #13)

Wow. My first book this month. Life has been super busy, and I kind of went on hiatus. I'm so behind in reading. I need to read 3 books before the end of the month for my book clubs, and I went and read this one instead!

Find Dead Ever After on GoodReads
Genres/Themes: Fantasy, Mystery, Romance
Rating: ★★★★☆

I was really excited when I stumbled across this book last night. I have been a bit starved for good vampire romance novels and hadn’t realized this had been released. I seem to be caught up on all my favorite series at the moment, and it’s frustrating having to wait for the next book to be released. If you’re like me and starved for more material, check out Kerrelyn Sparks and A Discovery of Witches (Review) if you haven’t already. Two of my favorites!

This book was pretty good and definitely temporarily satisfied my vamp cravings. I feel like Sookie’s tone was different in this book than the others though, but that just could be because it’s been a while since I’ve back-read and it’s being tainted by the horrible setting of True Blood. (Sorry to anyone who likes it. Good for you, enjoy, but I don’t like it.) I couldn’t really put my finger on it, but some of the things she said and did were just slightly un-Sookie like to me. She just seemed too blasé about everything—like she’s gotten used to the situation or is a bit shocked.

The whole thing with Eric wasn’t really done very well. I was finally getting to like him, but for the most part, he was out of the picture in this book. [Show Spoiler]

And the title of the book gives the same feeling—Dead Ever After, Happily Ever After. (EDIT: Ok, so I just read Charlaine Harris’s blog, and it does say this is the last book. Bummer. That’s one less series I can get my fix from. No wonder the tone seemed kind of off to me. Put that way, I don’t really like how it ended, though it wasn’t bad. I don’t hate the series now or feel too unsatisfied. I think it’s mostly just sad knowing that there aren’t going to be any more Sookie Stackhouse books.)

My favorite thing about this book was the suspense on the identity of Sookie’s attackers. You’re given hints as to who they are and know you’ve been introduced to them before, but I didn’t figure out who everyone was until the end. You obviously know 2 because you’re told from the beginning; the others are hinted at, and I only figured out 2 of them.

As the final book to the series, it wasn’t bad, but I wish it could have been better. Good-bye Sookie Stackhouse.

No comments:

Post a Comment