May 20, 2013

The Selection (The Selection #1)

Find The Selection on Goodreads
Genres/Themes: Fantasy, Romance
Rating: ★★★

My sister has been on me for about a year now to read this. I kept putting it off thinking it was going to be some childish story, and it was a bit, but it was pretty good.

This is basically a Cinderella tale. There is a caste system where Ones are relations of the royal family and Eights are the homeless. America's family is in caste Five: Artists. Entered in a drawing, her name is one of 35 drawn to join the Selection and becomes a potential bride to the prince.

I love and hate the twist that comes at the very end. I was kind of expecting it but dreaded that it would actually happen. I can't wait to see how it plays out in book two.

There were two things that I didn't like about the book. (1) There was no world map. Some of the places you would figure out since the author used places we are familiar with or just meshed names together, but there were some that made me wonder and some that would have been nice to see where the boundaries were. (2) I didn't like the name choice for America. I don't like it when people name their kids after countries or states or certain inanimate objects. Just gets on my nerves.

The book was written decently well for a children's/young adult book--simple enough for children but not too childish for adults. I kind of laughed when America picked on the prince for using the word "shall." I don't really think it's that uncommon of a word and hear it used regularly all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment