May 19, 2013

Echo Park (Harry Bosch #12)

Find Echo Park on GoodReads
Genres/Themes: Mystery
Rating: ★★★

Not my kind of book, but it was good for a one time read. I don't think I could read it again let alone the entire series.

It had a really slow start. Since I was reading this for a book club, I set myself a daily page goal in order to finish on time since I was having problems getting into it. It wasn't until about half way through that things really started picking up and two-thirds of the way through before it got exciting. Much of the slow beginning is groundwork for the climax to come, but I think some of it could have been cut out/down or made more exciting to help draw the reader in, but then if you're reading book 12 after the first 11, you're already drawn in. 


In the end, there were multiple plot twists--some I saw coming and some that that made me go, "Whoa! Really!!" and dive right back in. When the first twist came, I thought, "So early? Are they going to drag this out? There is still almost half the book left." Then another one came and another, and the book just got better and better (aside from the lack of ability to write romance that is). So if you're having problems getting into it, get to the part where they're trudging through the woods with the newscopter flying overhead, and it'll turn into a can't-put-it-down book.

There was only one part of the book that really bothered me:  

"He then put his arms around her and pulled her close.[Chapter 9] LATER, AFTER THEY HAD made love..."
Really? They had sex and that's all that's said? Did they have a quickie or something? I know this isn't a romance novel, but come on. I'm not saying that we need all the dirty details. This isn't Thirty Shades, but some romance would be nice. For Bosch and Rachael having a romantic relationship, there was absolutely no romance at all. The "made love" phrase doesn't help either. It distances the reader even further. It makes it sound more like they felt each other up rather than having done the dirty deed. If you can't write it, don't include it or get help.

No comments:

Post a Comment