February 18, 2013

The Language of Flowers

Find The Language of Flowers on Goodreads
Genres/Themes: Romance, Women's Fiction
My Rating: ★★☆

Not quite sure why this book is rated as high as it is. Even the people in my book group mostly seemed to love it. I found it depressing from beginning to end. Victoria was so stupid about many of her choices. I couldn't connect with any of the characters at all. I pretty much wanted to slap everyone all the way through, especially Elizabeth. 




From Book Club Discussion:
1.Did you enjoy the book overall? What was your favorite and/or least favorite thing about it?
No, I didn’t like the book at all. I think part of it was because I couldn’t really relate to the characters. Although I have some family issues here and there (who doesn’t), my family is pretty awesome and is really close. I can’t imagine not having a family and not caring about anything. What’s sad is that that’s what a lot of kids in foster care feel. If this book is any indication of what the system can really be like, then no wonder she's so messed up.

5. The novel touches on many different themes (love, family, forgiveness, second chances). Which do you think is the most important? And what did you think was ultimately the lesson?
For me, family is ultimately the most important. No matter how much they drive you nuts, or how much you “hate” them, you should always be there when they need you the most. When you care about your family to that extent, then love, forgiveness, and second chances are a given. I think the lesson was that it’s important to care. When you care, you can give and get all four of the above listed.

No comments:

Post a Comment