November 21, 2013

Review | What Alice Forgot by Liane Moriarty

Author: Liane Moriarty
Published: May 2010 (January 2009)
Publisher: PanMacmillan Australia
Pages: 487
Format: Paperback
Genre: Romance, Women's Fiction
Rating: ★★★★☆

[Show Synopsis]

Review
Not exactly an original idea. Girl has family troubles, she falls down, gets amnesia, and forgets all about any family problems, but it was a pretty good book. It didn't end anything like I expected it to though.

I liked younger Alice more. She was more carefree, maybe a little too much though, and actually listened to her kids instead of assuming she knew everything. Younger Alice kind of reminds me more of my mom. I always felt sorry for the kids who had parents like older Alice.

Alice with amnesia brought life back into everyone around her. It was amazing to see how everyone changed throughout the story. Some changed more than others, but everyone changed in some way and mostly for the better.

There were some things written from Elisabeth and Frannie's perspectives that helped to explain things especially since Alice couldn't remember stuff and they could. I think overall, it added to the story, but some of Elisabeth's entries were kind of wordy, and I would catch myself just glossing over them.

Like I said at the start, I didn't like the ending all that much, but if it had ended like I'd have like it to, it would have been more like a romance novel instead of realistic. The actual ending is a lot more realistic than anything I imagined.

I also didn't like how everything was written out like a letter at the end instead of experiencing it from the character's point of view. It was like the author was just summing up the ending to get it over with. I was happy with what happened in the ending, but not with the way it was written. It left me feeling incomplete.

No comments:

Post a Comment