August 27, 2013

Review | The Last Letter From Your Lover by Jojo Moyes

Author: Jojo Moyes
Published: June 26, 2012 (first published 2010)
Publisher: Penguin Books
Pages: 416
Format: Paperback
Genre: Drama, Historical, Romance, Women's Fiction 
Rating: ★★★★☆

[Show Synopsis]

Review
Yet another book that I wouldn't have picked up on my own that I can thank Ladies & Lit book club for. The first half of the book takes place in the 1960s. As you are reading (I can't stress this enough), pay attention to dates. The titles of each chapter tell when the chapter is occurring. They jump back and forth from before and after a car accident. I was really confused during the first few chapters since I wasn't aware of this.

I felt really sorry for Jennifer. Her husband wanted the old fashion trophy housewife--dumb, quiet, breeding, and pretty. If Jennifer acted even slightly intellectual, he quickly told her to mind business she actually knew about and that was up to her standards--like the house and home. The way he treated her drove me crazy. What made me even madder is that she just took it meekly. I know that's how women were treated and reacted back then. It just made me even happier that I was born toward the end of the 20th century.

I loved the first half of the book. It could have just gone on that way for the entire novel, and I would have loved it. So I was pretty mad when it switched over to the 2000s. I was even more upset when the first few chapters didn't click with me. It was like started a whole new novel. And in a way I was. It was a new time period, new setting, so it needed background and setting up, but once all that was done and Jennifer came back into the picture, the suspense came back.

There was just something about her. I loved her character. She was amazingly strong. She knew what she wanted, and even though she faltered a bit, she went after what she wanted. What person doesn't falter though when faced with having to give up everything they know for something that might be better?

If you are interested in historical fiction, or liked The Help then I definitely recommend you try this out.

No comments:

Post a Comment