July 12, 2013

Day 5: Tearjerker

This is part of a 15 Day Book Blogging Challenge from Good Books and Good Wine.

Recommend a tearjerker.

I've read a couple tearjerkers recently, but the one I liked the best was Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet. It's about a Chinese boy who falls for a Japanese girl in San Francisco during World War II. I've heard a lot about the treatment of people in Europe and Korea, but I haven't heard too much about the stuff that happened in the US. This book really brought it to life. You see the way the Chinese were treated along with the Japanese and how the two groups tried to avoid each other. I learned more about the US Japanese internment camps in this book than I did in my high school history classes. The most touching thing about this book is how one boy and one girl try to ignore all that's going on around them and what people feel in an attempt to have a happy childhood filled with jazz music and walks in the park. This was a wonderfully written and touching story. Well worth the read.

See my review of Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet

2 comments:

  1. This sounds so interesting! Will be checking it out on Goodreads, thanks for the "Add to GR" link, makes it so much easier than searching :(

    Day 5 Challenge Post

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow this sounds really interesting! I'd never heard of it before!

    ReplyDelete