April 22, 2013

The Fault in Our Stars

Find The Fault in Our Stars on Goodreads
Genres/Themes: Romance
My Rating: ★★★★★

This was a beautiful tear-jerker of a book. Why do I always seem to pick these types of books when I'm just about to start my period? I've had this on my to read list for a while now because it didn't seem like the type of book that I'd like. I eventually decided to read it because of how many people keep bringing it up. Once I started reading, I couldn't stop. I probably would have read it in one day if it wasn't for the fact that I was so tired that I fell asleep mid-sentence half way through the book.

I loved the in-your-face honestly writing style. It made very serious topics hilariously funny. Especially the exchanges between Hazel and Augustus.

Hazel was an amazing character. Her parents viewed her as being depressed because of the disease or prospect of dying and sent her to a support group. I liked Hazel's reasons for her behavior. “I’m like a grenade, Mom. I’m a grenade and at some point I’m going to blow up and I would like to minimize the casualties, okay?...I’m a grenade. I just want to stay away from people and read books and think and be with you guys because there’s nothing I can do about hurting you; you’re too invested, so just please let me do that, okay? I’m not depressed. I don’t need to get out more. And I can’t be a regular teenager, because I’m a grenade.”

Augustus was my favorite character. The author gave him the wonderful ability of being able to get others to see the good. Like maybe a grenade isn't necessarily a bad thing or that being blind isn't the end: "You are going to live a good and long life filled with great and terrible moments that you cannot even imagine yet!"


Then there's the book An Imperial Affliction that Hazel and Augustus are always reading and going on about. Since the book is left unfinished, Hazel and Gus are constantly trying to find an ending. To me, it seemed like Hazel was trying to find her own ending. What would happen to those that were left when she inevitably dies?

One of my favorite things was that this book though about cancer, didn't shove in your face the typical cancer/life ideas. Most cancer books go on about living your day like it's your last, don't take for granite the time you have, there are others that are less fortunate, etc. They were there, but not neon light obvious. Hazel was a normal kid as normal as she could be anyways. It was her life, she wanted to live it how she wanted. She did that by hanging out with friends and watching TV like other normal kids. I liked this message better. Cancer patients are people too. They aren't their disease.

My favorite quote:
“Kids!” Julie shouted vaguely.
“I can only hope,” Julie said, turning back to Gus, “they grow into the kind of thoughtful, intelligent young men you’ve become.”
I resisted the urge to audibly gag. “He’s not that smart,” I said to Julie.
“She’s right. It’s just that most really good-looking people are stupid, so I exceed expectations.”
“Right, it’s primarily his hotness,” I said.
“It can be sort of blinding,” he said.
“It actually did blind our friend Isaac,” I said.
“Terrible tragedy, that. But can I help my own deadly beauty?”
“You cannot.”
“It is my burden, this beautiful face.”
“Not to mention your body.”
“Seriously, don’t even get me started on my hot bod. You don’t want to see me naked, Dave. Seeing me naked actually took Hazel Grace’s breath away,” he said, nodding toward the oxygen tank.

No comments:

Post a Comment