April 11, 2013

Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire #1)

Find on Goodreads
Genres: Fantasy
Rating:

I was seeing this book a lot all over the internet and heard a lot of people talking about it, so I thought I'd pick it up and give it a try. It was ok. I rate the beginning a 4 and the end a 2. 

I loved how it starts. The main character is pure evil. It's not often that you find a book from the "villain's" perspective. And the fact that he's a prince just made it better. Then the story started to fall apart. The second half of the book didn't seem as well written as the first. Like it was rushed. The inside cover of the book equates this story to Game of Thrones. At the beginning I could see it, but the further you read, the more different they were.

I was especially upset when I found out that this is actually a futuristic story rather than an alternate, medieval, fantasy universe. The references to Robin Hood, Plato, and Shakespeare were odd. I think I would have liked it better if it hadn't been futuristic.

The more I read about the prince, the more he drove me nuts too. He never had a plan. He always just winged it. And no matter how many died, it seemed to turn out for him in the end. It reminded me of a drunk, egotistic, jerk, frat guy that always manages to get out of trouble no matter what he does or how wrong he is

No comments:

Post a Comment