February 3, 2015

Review | Crouching Tiger, Forbidden Vampire (Love at Stake #16) by Kerrelyn Sparks

Author: Kerrelyn Sparks
Published: December 30, 2014
Publisher: Avon
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Pages: 372
Genre: Fantasy, Romance, Supernatural, Vampires
Rating: ★★★☆☆

[Show Synopsis]

Review
When I read the first book to Love at Stake, I fell in love. I quickly read every book that was out (at the time, there were only 6). I greatly anticipated the next book and couldn't wait to read it. There were a few books that when I finished I just couldn't figure out why they couldn't have been as good as the previous ones, but I loved the world she had built and the characters in it...until an angel fell from Heaven.

Once angels and demons were introduced to the series, it just fell apart for me. And then the Chinese saga came around and things just got worse. I feel like this series started off is a great direction and took a turn in the middle trying to captivate a wider audience and lost part of what originally made it special.

This conclusion to the Chinese saga though was a bit better than I expected, which isn't saying much since my expectations were extremely low. I loved the twist in finding out Master Han's identity, but that was really the only thing I really liked about the book. I was just happy to be done with China (which was also disappointing to me since I am a huge fan of Asian cultures) and be able to move on to something hopefully better. Then I read the acknowledgments at the end and discovered that at least for now, this is the end of the Love at Stake series. Perhaps this is for the best. If the series has fallen this low, I'd hate to see what further tinkering could do as much as I would love to read more.

No comments:

Post a Comment