April 23, 2014

Review | The Thousand Names (The Shadow Campaign #1) by Diango Wexler

Author: Diango Wexler
Published: July 2, 2013
Publisher: Roc
Pages: 528
Format: Hardcover
Genre: Adventure, Fantasy, War
Rating: ★★★★☆

[Show Synopsis]

Review
I fell into this book pretty quickly. The story was structured fairly well, but seemed loose in some places. The pathetic map at the beginning didn't help my impression much. I really enjoyed Winter's portion of the story and would have enjoyed the story more if Marcus was given less of the book and was featured more as a secondary character rather than on the same level as Winter.

I just felt like his story wasn't as captivating as Winter's. If an author is going to write parallel stories, both stories need to be equally captivating and important. I found myself skimming more during Marcus's story to get to Winter's, and I feel like my skimming didn't really make me miss anything of the whole story, which tells me that there was a lot of fluff or at least unimportant things written in.

Marcus really was an interesting character, but I felt like the author just didn't know how to write his portion of the story. Winter was awesome, and I fell in love with all her supporting characters. There were a lot of things in the story that I was able to guess from the get-go, but quite a bit that left me guessing though-out the book. The Steel Ghost confused me the most. With the way he was built up by the author, I thought he would have played a larger part in the story. He was important, but not as large within the story and I thought. My initial thought when he was introduced was that he would somehow team up with Winter, and they would both join to fight against the army and Winter's home country for some cause.

This was a really good story, and I would definitely recommend it to fantasy/war enthusiasts. I liked the that it was a gender-bender. It's been a while since I've read one of those. And though it's kind of a cliche topic/genre, it works really well for this story.

I can't wait for book two.

No comments:

Post a Comment