July 9, 2013

Day 1: Confessions

Follow my blog with Bloglovin

This afternoon, I was browsing around Goodreads and checking up on the blogs I'm following when I came across this blogger challenge. The challenge started yesterday, so I'm a day behind, but I thought I'd give it a go!


Day 1: Make 15 book related confessions.

1.  I judge books by their covers. I'm very artistic. I feel that if they put as much effort into designing or finding a good cover for their book that they might have also put that much or more effort into writing it. It doesn't take much though for my eyes to find a cover. Just a bit of typography will do, but there are so many books out there that it's hard to read every one. Sometimes judging by the cover is the only way to shorten the list.


2. I like the bad boy characters. Having a good upstanding man is nice in real life, but reading books is about diving into some of your fantasies. I think that's why I like vampire romances so much. vampires when portrayed as the "good guy" are usually like anti-heros.

3. I have problems keeping a TBR list. I'm constantly adding to it. I actually have two lists going. One is a 600 book long list of books I want to read. The other is a 30 book long list of books that I want to read soon. Unfortunately, I can't help playing with it, and I'm always rearranging it and adding and subtracting from it.

4. I love buying/getting books, but I've read less than half of them. Part of this is because most of them are boxed up. I don't really have any bookshelves. The other problem is that I seem to get books faster than I can read them. I do have a 4 foot wide, 8 foot tall shelf at another house that I have filled and could probably fill 5 times over. If not more.

5. Some books make me cry. I never had that happen until this past year. I don't know if I've changed or if the books I've read have just changed. I know I've read emotional books before, and I didn't cry, but Hotel on the Corner of Bitter and Sweet and The Light Between Oceans had me crying my eyes out!

6. I am obsessed about the condition of my books. I try to buy knew when I can and am constantly trading out worn copies if I can find better ones cheap or free. The only worn ones I keep are antiques or sentimental copies. Because of this obsession, I rarely lend books out. (I'm also scared that I'll never see them again.)

7. I like my books to be consistent. If I have a series, I have to have all the books, and they all have to be the same format. Typically I prefer hardcover.

8. I secretly like the 50 Shades books. I'm a very modest person. I don't like talking about sex or anything related, but I loved these books. The writing style was amazing. No one I know IRL knows that I've read and enjoyed these books though, so shhhh!

9. I prefer fantasy over realistic novels. Life sucks as it is. I want the fantasy stuff that'll take me away on a flying carpet and make magic seem real.

10. I always thought Chick Lit and Women's Fiction were kind of stupid until recently. Where's the action and adventure!? Then I joined Ladies & Literature on Goodreads and read some other books and now I'm really into some of these books. The Dovekeepers and Winter Sea were awesome! Plenty of adventure. (I'm running out of ideas for confessions!)

11. I like reading children's novels. I didn't read many children's novels growing up. I read Little House on the Prairie and Animorphs, but most of the books I read came from the adult fiction section of the library.

12. I used to hate classics. It's only recently that I've been reading the classic books. There was always this feeling towards classics that I had that made me reluctant to read them. Maybe it was because we were forced to read many of them in school, and they never picked the fun classics. Why couldn't we have read Peter Pan or Lord of the Rings?

13. I skip paragraphs and sometimes entire pages. Some books just aren't written well and contain a lot of fluff. A lot of times you get get by just by reading the first line of paragraphs or by just reading the "" stuff. When it's really bad, I'll just skip paragraphs and pages entirely.

14. I pretend I'm deaf when I'm reading. Sometimes I really am so engrossed that I don't notice what's going on around me. Other times I can hear everything just fine, but I'm reading my book. Go away and leave me alone!

15. I like reading books straight through. I will stay up as late as it takes. If a book is good or I just want to finish it, I'll stay up as late as possible to finish it. Some nights I push so hard that I fall asleep while reading. I don't rest my eye or anything. Mid sentence I fall asleep. The day Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix was released, I was in line at midnight purchasing it. I then stayed up until 8am until I'd completely read it.

Wow. That was a lot harder than I thought it would be.

No comments:

Post a Comment