July 11, 2013

Review | A Girl's Guide to Vampires

Author: Katie MacAlister
Published: October 29, 2003
Publisher: Love Spell
Format: Mass Market Paperback
Pages: 374
Genres: Fantasy, Romance, Supernatural, Vampires
Rating: ★★☆☆☆

Synopsis
Joy is missing the romance in her life and enlists a friend of hers to help petition the goddess for romance to come her way. Soon after, Joy and her friend Roxy head to the Czech Republic where Joy starts experiencing visions around one of the local guys. Quiet and mysterious, whenever she's around him, she sees blood. Refusing to believe she's going crazy, their relationship progresses, but is this the relationship she had in mind when petitioning the goddess?

Review
I picked this up thinking I hadn't read it before. After about 40 pages in, I realized I had, but decided to read until the end since I couldn't remember much about it. I couldn't even remember if I had liked it. I didn't get into it this time around, but there are a lot of interesting and original elements included in this book. Don't let my 2 star review scare you off too much; give it a try and see how it goes. It just wasn't my type of book.


It wasn't really a bad book, but I've read better. The characters were very matter of fact and blatantly forward, especially Roxy. It was kind of annoying how Roxy believed in "The Dark Ones" 100%. I liked how the guys found that funny. 

I did like how the powers (for lack of better word) given to the characters weren't very mainstream. The ones you find out about rather quickly is Joy's ability to "predict" catastrophic futures and the visions and steps associated with Dark One romance. I was laughing pretty hard when they were describing some of Joy's predictions at the beginning of the book, and some of the events that were caused my Joy's visions were pretty funny.

It was an interesting an somewhat funny book. It isn't very mainstream, so if you're tired of the traditional vampire but don't want something completely different, you might want to give this a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment