November 1, 2010

When My Name Was Keoko & Young Deputy Smith


Find When My Name Was Keoko on Goodreads 
Genres/Themes: Historical Fiction, World War II
My Rating: ★★★★★

I read this a couple of years ago and really loved it. I often heard about Japan's occupation of Korea, but never really heard too many stories about it. This is one of the best books that I've ever read.

During Japan's occupation, Korean's were forced to learn Japanese. This had to discard their heritage and customs. All Rose of Sharrons (Korea's national flower) were removed and replaced by Japanese cherry trees. To survive, Koreans had to follow the Japanese as Keoko and her family did, but in following the Japanese, they were shunned by their own people and treated as traitors of Korea.

I highly recommend this book to people interested in history, especially pertaining to East Asia and World War II. If you're interested in this theme, check out the kdrama Bridal Mask (Gaksital) on viki.

**********

Find Young Deputy Smith on Goodreads
Genres/Themes: Adventure, Western
My Rating: ★★★★★

This has been one of my favorite books since I was in junior high. Although it seems unrealistic now, it was fun to read about the young boy who ran way from home and made it big.

I would recommend this book to people interested in Western Fiction, especially if you like Wyatt Earp. If you like John Wayne movies, you'll probably enjoy this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment